Best Electric Smokers Consumer Reports, Ratings, Reviews, Tips, and Guides in 2023
Are you a fan of delicious, smoky but dread the hassle and mess of traditional smoking methods? If so, electric smokers may be just what you need! But with so many options on the market, how can you determine which one is right for you? Fear not – our team has scoured Consumer Reports to bring you the best electric smokers available. So sit back, relax, and prepare your taste buds for some seriously mouth-watering results!
Top 10 Best Electric Smokers Consumer Reports 2023
Below is the Best Electric Smokers Consumer Reports that you can buy :
1. Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker, 30", Black
1 used from $217.57
- Digital panel controls on/off, cooking temperature and time
- Electric Smoker dimensions – 20.47" W x 19.88" L x 33.26" H | Max temperature setting – 275ᵒ F | Inside capacity – 2 Turkeys, 4 Pork Butts, 4 Racks of Ribs, 6 Chickens
- Patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without opening door
- Thermostat-temperature control for even, consistent smoking
- Fully-insulated body retains heat
2. Masterbuilt MB20070421 30-inch Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt MB20070421 30-inch Digital Electric Smoker, Black
- Temperature reaches up to 275˚F
- Digital panel controls on/off, cooking temperature and time
- 711 sq. in. of smoking space to feed the whole family
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Thermostat-temperature control for even, consistent smoking
3. Masterbuilt MB20077618 Analog Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt MB20077618 Analog Electric Smoker with 2 Smoking Racks, 30 inch, Black
- 354 sq in of smoking space to feed family and friends
- Thermostat temperature control for even, consistent smoking
- Removable wood chip tray
- Two chrome-coated smoking racks
- 1, 800-watt heating element for even, consistent smoking
4. Royal Gourmet SE2801 Electric Smoker with Adjustable Temperature Control
Royal Gourmet SE2801 Electric Smoker with Adjustable Temperature Control, Black
$149.99 in stock
1 used from $142.75
- Spacious cooking surface: 457. 86 sq. Inches of cooking surface over 3 chrome-coated smoking racks; 1500-watt heating power with fully adjustable and removable digital controller; integrated thermometer for a quick check of internal temperature.
- Grease Management system: in addition to removable stainless steel water pan and Lidded chip box, This analog electric smoker has an independent grease cup that makes your life easier with quick and convenient clean-up.
- Versatile application: featuring multi-functional uses, the smoker could satisfy different sorts of needs such as smoked barbecue, firewood grilling, steaming, drying, and etc.
- Good seal performance: latch system ensures a good seal performance, cool-touch spring door handle prevents scalding, and 2-side handles for convenient transport.
- Heat-retaining: double-wall construction firebox helps retain smoking temperature.
5. Char-Broil Analog Electric Smoker
Char-Broil Analog Electric Smoker
- 544 Square inches of cooking space spread across three chrome-plated cooking grates
- Double-wall insulated construction with dual exhaust ports.Wash cooking grate with warm soapy water, rinse and dry throughly
- Door-mounted temperature gauge, and dual latches to keep door sealed shut
- Front-access water tray, grease cup and wood chip tray
- Measures 20.7 in W x 33.5 in H x 15 in D. 1, 000 watt electric element
6. Cuisinart COS-330 Vertical Electric Smoker
Cuisinart COS-330 Vertical Electric Smoker, Three Removable Smoking Shelves, 30", 548 sq. inches Cooking Space
- 548 SQUARE INCHES OF INTERIOR: The spacious 548 square inch interior means there is plenty of room to smoke a variety of meats and vegetables. The vertical footprint makes it a perfect size for patios and barbecue kitchens.
- THREE REMOVABLE SMOKING SHELVES: Three chrome plated steel racks can be easily removed for smoking large cuts of meat. Racks are dishwasher safe, making cleanup easy
- BUILT-IN THERMOMETER: Features easy-to-read thermometer on the front door for accessible monitoring of the internal temperature.
- 1500-WATT HEATING ELEMENT: Featuring a heating coil that provides the 1500-watt heating element able to produce a temperature from 100°F to 400°F easily controlled with a dial.
- STAINLESS STEEL TRAYS HOLDS WOOD AND WATER: Stainless steel trays hold the wood chips and water, so clean-up is easy after use. Smoker requires wood chips when grilling.
7. Char-Broil 17202004 Digital Electric Smoker
Char-Broil 17202004 Digital Electric Smoker, Deluxe, Silver
$324.18 in stock
- Insulated, double-wall construction. Wattage-750
- Advanced control panel with easy-read, blue LED display
- Removable food thermometer
- Glass door and stainless steel, dual-tone finish
- Large, stainless steel locking latch for smoke-tight seal
8. Masterbuilt 40 inch Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt 40 inch Digital Electric Smoker with Window and Legs + Cover Bundle
$379.98 in stock
- This electric smoker reaches temperatures up to 275 F, includes a water bowl to retain moisture, and an adustable air damper for smoke control
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks for a total of 971 square inches of smoking space
- The smoker also includes a patented side wood chip loading system and a removable drip pan and rear grease tray catches food drippings
- The included smoker cover will fit all Masterbuilt 40-inch Electric Smokers
- Protect your smoker with this water-resistant and fade resistant cover
9. Pit Boss Grills PBV3A1 Electric Smoker
Pit Boss Grills PBV3A1 Electric Smoker, Blue Hammertone
$292.28 in stock
- Integrated analog controls
- 4 porcelain coated cooking racks
- 684 square inches of cooking space
- 1,650 watts
- External access front loading wood chip tray
10. Masterbuilt MB20074719 Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker
Masterbuilt MB20074719 Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker, 40 inch, Stainless Steel
- Bluetooth Smart technology allows you to monitor and control your meat and smoker temperature from your smart device or digital control panel
- One meat probe thermometer included
- Patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without opening smoker door
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks
- Interior light illuminates food in low light when door is open
What is Electric Smokers ?
An electric smoker is a device that uses electricity to heat wood chips or charcoal, which in turn produces smoke that is used to flavor food. Electric smokers are becoming increasingly popular because they are easy to use and require no supervision once they are turned on.
Smoking meat has been a traditional method of cooking for centuries. The process of smoking meat involves slowly cooking the food over low heat while it is exposed to smoke. This exposure to smoke imparts flavor into the meat, as well as tenderizes it. Smoking meat was originally done using wood-fired pits, but nowadays, electric smokers are much more common.
Electric smokers work by heating wood chips or charcoal, which produces smoke. This smoke is then funneled into the chamber where the food is being cooked. The food absorbs the flavor of the smoke as it cooks, resulting in a delicious final product.
What Are the Different Types of Electric Smokers ?
There are three main types of electric smokers: cabinet, bullet, and vertical.
Cabinet smokers are the largest and most expensive type of electric smoker. They are also the most versatile, as they can be used as either a smoker or a grill. Cabinet smokers typically have two or more cooking racks, making them ideal for large families or parties.
Bullet smokers are the middle ground between cabinet and vertical smokers. They are less expensive than cabinet smokers but more expensive than vertical smokers. Bullet smokers also have two or more cooking racks, making them ideal for medium-sized families or groups.
Vertical smokers are the smallest and least expensive type of electric smoker. They are best suited for small families or individuals. Vertical smokers typically have one or two cooking racks, making them perfect for those who do not need a lot of space.
How Does Electric Smokers work?
When it comes to electric smokers, there are a few things that you need to know in order to get the best results. First of all, these smokers work by using electricity to heat up a element inside the smoker. This element then heats up the wood chips or pellets that you have placed inside the smoker. As the wood chips or pellets begin to smoke, they will flavor the food that you have placed inside the smoker.
In order to get the best results from your electric smoker, it is important to make sure that you follow the instructions that come with it. These instructions will tell you how long to preheat the smoker for, as well as how long to cook your food for. If you do not follow these instructions, you may not get the results that you are hoping for.
Another thing to keep in mind when using an electric smoker is that you need to be careful about where you place it. You do not want to put it near any flammable materials, as this could cause a fire. Additionally, you will want to make sure that it is in a well-ventilated area so that the smoke can escape and does not linger in your home.
Benefits of Electric Smokers ?
Electric smokers offer many benefits over traditional smokers. They are easier to use, require less maintenance, and produce less smoke. Additionally, electric smokers allow you to control the temperature more precisely, which results in more consistent cooking.
Pros and Cons of Electric Smokers
Electric smokers offer many benefits over traditional smokers. They’re easier to use, produce less smoke, and are more energy-efficient. But electric smokers also have some drawbacks. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of electric smokers:
• Easy to use: Electric smokers are simple to set up and use. There’s no need for charcoal or wood, and you can set the temperature with the push of a button.
• Produce less smoke: Because electric smokers don’t rely on charcoal or wood for fuel, they produce less smoke than traditional smokers. This is great news for your lungs and for your neighbors!
• More energy-efficient: Electric smokers are more energy-efficient than their charcoal or wood-burning counterparts. They use less electricity overall, which means lower bills for you.
• Limited temperature control: Electric smokers typically don’t get as hot as charcoal or wood smokers. This means that it may take longer to cook your food, and you may not be able to achieve the same level of smoky flavor.
• Can be more expensive: Electric smokers can be more expensive than traditional smokers, especially if you opt for a high-end model. But remember, you’ll save money in the long run thanks to lower energy bills.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Electric Smokers ?
When choosing an electric smoker, there are several factors to consider in order to find the best one for your needs. Below are some of the key factors to keep in mind:
Size: Electric smokers come in a variety of sizes, so it’s important to choose one that will be able to accommodate the amount of food you want to smoke. If you plan on smoking large cuts of meat or a lot at once, then a larger smoker would be a better option.
Features: Electric smokers come with a variety of features that can make the smoking process easier and more versatile. Some features to look for include automatic temperature control, digital controls, and a built-in meat thermometer.
Construction: The construction of the smoker is also important to consider. Look for smokers that are made with heavy-duty materials such as stainless steel for long-lasting use. Additionally, check to see if the smoker has double-walled construction for added insulation.
Price: Electric smokers can range in price depending on the size and features offered. Set a budget before shopping so you know how much you’re willing to spend. It’s also worth considering if any special features are worth the extra cost.
How to Use Electric Smokers
If you’re looking for a smoker that is easy to use and produces great results, then an electric smoker is the way to go. Here’s how to use one:
1. Choose your electric smoker. There are many different models on the market, so choose one that suits your needs.
2. Prepare your food. Season your food as you would if you were cooking it in a traditional oven or smoker.
3. Preheat your smoker. Most models have a preheat setting, so be sure to follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
4. Place your food in the smoker. Arrange it on the racks as desired and close the door.
5. Smoke your food according to the instructions in your owner’s manual. This will vary depending on the model of smoker and the type of food being cooked.
6. Enjoy! Once your food is cooked, remove it from the smoker and enjoy!
Common Mistakes When Using Electric Smokers ?
If you’re new to smoking with an electric smoker, you may be wondering what some of the most common mistakes are. Here are a few things to avoid:
1. Not seasoning your smoker before use. Seasoning is important in order to prevent rust and to help the food smoke properly.
2. Overloading the smoker with too much food. This will make it difficult for the food to cook evenly and could result in uneven smoking.
3. Not maintaining a consistent temperature. Smoking at too high or low of a temperature can cause problems with your food, so it’s important to keep an eye on the temperature gauge and make adjustments as needed.
4. Not using enough wood chips or not adding them often enough. Wood chips are necessary for proper smoking, so be sure to add them as directed by your specific electric smoker model.
5. Not monitoring the food during cooking. It’s important to check on the progress of your food periodically so that you can ensure it’s cooking properly and adjust the temperature if needed.
Frequently Asked Question
Q: How much does an electric smoker cost?
A: The cost of an electric smoker can vary depending on the size and features that you want. However, you can expect to pay between $200 and $500 for a quality electric smoker.
Q: What are the benefits of using an electric smoker?
A: The main advantage of using an electric smoker is the convenience and ease of use. Electric smokers require much less maintenance than other types of smokers and can be used indoors or outdoors. Additionally, electric smokers produce consistent results that are often tastier and easier to achieve than with traditional smokers.
Q: What type of food can I cook in an electric smoker?
A: An electric smoker can be used to cook a variety of foods, such as meats, fish, vegetables, and even desserts. The flavor of the smoke produced by an electric smoker is perfect for creating delicious smoky flavors in your dishes.
Q: Is it safe to use an electric smoker?
A: Electric smokers are generally considered to be very safe. As long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, you should not have any issues with safety. It is important to keep the smoker away from flammable objects and materials, and to ensure the cords and plugs are in good condition.
The best electric smokers come in a variety of sizes, styles, and prices to suit all budgets. Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for unbiased product reviews, and their ratings can help you choose the right smoker. We hope that this article has given you a better understanding of what to look for when selecting an electric smoker and that it helps you find one that perfectly meets your needs and preferences. With the right electric smoker at hand, everyone will be able to enjoy delicious smoked meats or vegetables with ease!
I’m Georgie Barton, a reviewer for various magazines and consumer reports. I’ve been testing and writing about household products and electronics for years, and have become quite the authority on the subject. My goal is to help people make informed decisions when purchasing these items, so they can get the most value for their money.
My hope is that through my work, everyone will be able to find a quality and satisfactory product. Thank you for reading!