Best Metal Detectors Consumer Reports, Ratings, Reviews, Tips, and Guides in 2023 (Update)
Are you looking to purchase a metal detector but don’t know where to start? With so many options on the market, it can seem daunting trying to choose which one is best for you. The good news is we are here to help! We’ve compiled reviews from Consumer Reports, experts in the industry, and customer feedback in order to compile the top 10 Best Metal Detectors for 2023.
From entry level models that are perfect for beginners looking for an affordable way of detecting metals all the way up to professional grade detectors with advanced features – no matter your skill or budget level we have got you covered! Read on as we guide you through our picks of this year’s most popular metal detectors.
Top 10 Metal Detectors to Buy in 2023:
Below is the list of top 10 Metal Detectors that you can have a look at and buy. Check one by one carefully before purchasing:
*Note: Score is based on our AI score (Editor’s choice and rating)
1. Minelab Equinox 900 Metal Detector with EQX 11” Double-D Coil and EQX 6
Minelab Equinox 900 Metal Detector with EQX 11” Double-D Coil and EQX 6” Double-D Coil
- SIMULTANEOUS MULTI-FREQUENCY. Choose between 6 single frequencies when you have a specific target in mind, or use our revolutionary Multi-IQ technology to automatically employ 5 frequencies at once. All metals, all soils, all the time.
- FULLY WATERPROOF. Don't stop your search at the beach or the bank. This metal detector is fully waterproof and submersible up to up to 16 ft (5 m) so you can find gold, silver, jewelry, coins and other treasures underwater.
- 4 MODES. Easily select from Park for high-trash areas, Field for coins and artifacts, Beach or Gold modes to focus on target or ground types. Features like a built-in flashlight and Handgrip Vibration mean you can power on long after the sun has gone.
- ACCURATE TARGET ID. Confidently sort trash and treasure thanks to the fast and accurate 119 high-resolution Target ID and superior audio control that allows you to gauge size and depth (Low Latency wireless headphones included).
- PORTABLE. Comprising of lightweight 3-piece carbon-fiber shafts, the Equinox 900 weighs only 2.8 lbs (1.2 kg) and packs down to a mere 24 inches (61 cm) so you can throw it in your backpack when you're on the move.
Minelab’s Multi-IQ Technology is revolutionizing metal detecting. This advanced technology combines the power of multiple detectors into one, delivering unparalleled performance and versatility. With the ability to search all types of metals and soils, the EQUINOX 900 is the ultimate tool for detecting enthusiasts. Accurate target IDs make identifying your finds quick and easy, while the target separation feature allows you to easily distinguish between trash and treasure.
And, with its waterproof design and all-terrain capabilities, the EQUINOX 900 is the perfect tool for detecting in any environment. Whether you’re searching for gold or other valuable metals, the EQUINOX 900 is the detector of choice for professionals and hobbyists alike.
2. Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Gold Detector
Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Gold Detector
1 used from $899.99
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY. The 45 kHz VLF and 24-bit signal processor greatly boosts sensitivity to gold over a wide range of nugget sizes, without any excess noise or false signals.
- FULLY AUTOMATIC. The GOLD MONSTER turns beginners into professionals with fully automatic operation in an easy-to-use, high performance metal detector. It's equipped with automatic noise canceling, ground balance and sensitivity to do it all for you.
- PRECISE DISCRIMINATION. Improved identification enhances searches in salty soils for more precise detection, while the waterproof coil (up to 3 ft) works in wet conditions.
- EASY TO USE. This gold finder has a touchpad interface that features a gold chance indicator, gold (iron reject) and deep all-metal detect modes, sensitivity options and adjustable volume controls (headphones not included).
- ADAPTABLE HEIGHT. Whether you're searching wide ground or confined spaces, you can use this detector thanks to its universal shaft adaptability. To fit your height, simply adjust the telescoping shaft.
If you’re searching for gold in varying terrain, the Gold Monster 1000 metal detector has got you covered. With its fully automatic functionality, the detector automatically cancels out background noise, balances itself on the ground for maximum sensitivity, and adjusts its sensitivity level for optimal detection. The touchpad interface makes it easy to customize your search with options like a gold chance indicator, three detection modes, and adjustable volume controls.
The Gold Monster 1000 is also adaptable, allowing you to detect on both large and small spaces by adjusting the telescopic shaft to your desired height. And don’t worry about getting caught in the rain – the detector’s waterproof coil can withstand depths of up to 3 feet. The included discrimination feature also helps you hone in on your search – improved identification of ferrous/non-ferrous materials makes searching in salty soil a breeze.
3. Fisher Labs Gold Bug Pro Metal Detector
Fisher Labs Gold Bug Pro Metal Detector, Black (GOLDBUG-PRO)
$563.06 in stock
3 used from $426.76
- Finds the smallest gold nuggets in highly mineralized soils - v-break tm; industry's first variable breakpoing tone discrimination system - computerized ground grab tm
- Real-time computerized ground balancing - v.c.o. audio in all metal & discrimination mode - independent control over treshold & gain - continuous ground condition readouts
- Ground phase value indicates type of mineralization - fe3o4 graphic indicates amount of mineralization - static pinpoint with depth indicator - dual headphone jacks
- 19kHz Operating Frequency - Ultra Simple User Interface - Ultra-Lightweight (2.5 lbs)
- Recommended for gold nugget / prospecting
This item is a game changer for those in the gold nugget prospecting industry. With its industry-first variable breakpoint tone discrimination system, it can find even the smallest nuggets in highly mineralized soils. Additionally, its real-time computerized ground balancing, V.C.O. audio in all metal and discrimination mode, and continuous ground condition readouts provide a level of accuracy and control unlike any other.
The ground phase value and FE3O4 graphic indicators give insight into the type and amount of mineralization present. Plus, the ultra-lightweight design and ultra-simple user interface make it easy to use and transport. Dual headphone jacks and a static pinpoint with depth indicator are also included. If you’re serious about your gold prospecting, this item belongs in your toolkit.
4. Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector with EQX 11” Double-D
Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector with EQX 11” Double-D Waterproof Coil
$899.00 in stock
6 used from $744.00
- SIMULTANEOUS MULTI-FREQUENCY. The Equinox 800 combines the power of multiple detectors into 1. Equipped with our revolutionary Multi-IQ technology, it automatically employs 5 frequencies at once so you can search all metals, all soils, all the time.
- FULLY WATERPROOF. Don't stop your search at the beach or the bank. This metal detector is fully waterproof and submersible up to 10 ft (3 m) so you can find gold, silver, jewelry, coins and other treasures underwater.
- 4 DETECT MODES. Easily select from Park for high-trash recreation areas, Field for fine coins and artifacts, Beach or Gold modes to focus on target types or ground conditions. Save your favorite 2 settings in each mode with custom Search Profiles.
- ACCURATE TARGET ID. Confidently sort trash and treasure thanks to the fast and accurate Target ID. Large Target ID numbers help you see targets at a glance while wireless audio allows for high-speed audio operation (Bluetooth headphones & WM 08 included).
- SLEEK & LIGHTWEIGHT. The lightweight design is easy to operate, allowing you to enjoy long detecting sessions comfortably in any environment. Size: 56.7" (1440 mm). Weight: 2.06 lbs (1.34 kg). Battery Run time: approx. 12 hours; charging cable included.
Unleash the power of Minelab’s MULTI-IQ technology with this advanced metal detector. This state-of-the-art technology combines the abilities of multiple detectors into one, allowing you to search for all metals in all soil conditions at all times. Aside from the technological breakthrough, this metal detector is also fully waterproof, making it perfect for beachcombing, river-bed treasure hunting, and even diving up to 10ft underwater.
The 4 detect modes-Park, Field, Beach, and Gold modes make it easy to adjust the detector for the specific target type or ground condition. Accurate Target ID lets you identify your finds quickly, so you can sort your treasures from trash efficiently. Plus, enjoy 8 custom search profiles and save your 2 favorites in each mode. With this little wonder, the possibilities are endless.
5. Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil Pro-Pointer at and Carry Bag
Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil Pro-Pointer at and Carry Bag
The Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector is a professional-grade metal detector that is perfect for treasure hunting enthusiasts. With its advanced features and waterproof coil, this metal detector is capable of detecting small targets with high accuracy, even in challenging environments. Its Pro-Pointer at feature enables it to locate targets with ease, making the process of detecting metals even more efficient.
And with the included carry bag, transporting this metal detector to different locations is hassle-free. Whether you’re a seasoned treasure hunter or a beginner, the Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector is an excellent choice.
6. Minelab Vanquish 540 Metal Detector
Minelab Vanquish 540 Metal Detector with V12 12” x 9” Double-D Waterproof Coil
- SIMULTANEOUS MULTI-FREQUENCY. The Vanquish 540 combines the power of multiple detectors into 1. Equipped with our revolutionary Multi-IQ technology, it automatically employs 5 frequencies at once so you can search all metals, all soils, all the time.
- TURN ON & GO. No need to choose frequencies or ground balance. This detector auto-selects the best settings depending on your soil so you can simply switch on the easy-to-use, water-resistant interface (with backlight for low light) and start detecting.
- 4 MODES. Select from Park for high-trash areas, Field for coins and artifacts or Beach modes—each with unique separation and depth abilities (Coin, Jewelry, Relic, Custom)—to focus on target or ground types. Turn on Pinpoint Mode for precise location.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COLLAPSIBLE. The Vanquish 540 weighs only 2.8 lbs (1.3 kg) and packs down to a mere 30 inches (76 cm) with a unique collapsible snap-lock system so you can throw it in your backpack and go.
- AUDIO CONTROL. Automatic noise canceling, lag-free audio response and 10-volume settings put you in complete control of your search, while Iron Bias control allows you to find treasure hiding amongst trash. Wired 1/8" headphones (3.5 mm) included.
7. Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector w/Pro Find 15
Minelab Equinox 800 Metal Detector w/Pro Find 15, Carry Bag, Finds Pouch
- The EQUINOX 800 multi-frequency metal detector
- Standard Coil: 11-inch double-D smart coil with skidplate (waterproof to 3m/10')
- Wireless bluetooth / apt-X low latency headphones with carry case
- WM 08 wireless audio module
- USB charging cable with magnetic connector
8. Minelab Vanquish 440 Metal Detector
Minelab Vanquish 440 Metal Detector with V10 10”x 7” Double-D Waterproof Coil
1 used from $274.55
- SIMULTANEOUS MULTI-FREQUENCY. The Vanquish 440 combines the power of multiple detectors into 1. Equipped with our revolutionary Multi-IQ technology, it automatically employs 5 frequencies at once so you can search all metals, all soils, all the time.
- TURN ON & GO. No need to choose frequencies or ground balance. This metal detector auto-selects the best settings depending on your soil so you can simply switch on the easy-to-use, water-resistant interface and start detecting.
- 4 MODES. Select from Park for high-trash areas, Field for coins and artifacts or Beach modes—each with unique separation and depth abilities (Coin, Jewelry, Relic, Custom)—to focus on target or ground types. Turn on Pinpoint Mode for precise location.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COLLAPSIBLE. The Vanquish 440 weighs only 2.6 lbs (1.2 kg) and packs down to a mere 30 inches (76 cm) with a unique collapsible snap-lock system so you can throw it in your backpack and go.
- AUDIO CONTROL. Automatic noise canceling, lag-free audio response and 10-volume settings put you in complete control of your search. Wired 1/8" headphones (3.5 mm) included.
9. Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone
Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Plus Accessories
2 used from $256.45
- Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with submersible Searchcoil
- Includes 3 FREE Accessories:
- Volume control Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow headphones
- ACE Environmental Coverup
- 7" x 10" Searchcoil Cover
10. Metal Detector,High Accuracy Adjustable Waterproof Metal Detectors for Adults & Kids
Metal Detector,High Accuracy Adjustable Waterproof Metal Detectors for Adults & Kids with LCD Display&LED Light,Discrimination&All Metal Mode,25.4CM Search Coil,Folding Shovel&Carrying Bag
- HIGH ACCURACY & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: The diameter of this metal detector’s search coil is 10 inches. As you know, the bigger the search coil is, the higher the sensitivity, let you detecting more efficient and time-saving. Waterproof search coil enables you to use detecting to underwater, perfect for outdoor, like beach, stream, backyard. (Note: the control box is not waterproof)
- THREE STRONG MODES & TRUE DISCRIMINATION MODE - metal detector has three operation models: ① All Metal Mode - the metal detector notifies you whenever it sees any metal. ② Disc Mode - you can utilize this metal detector to discriminate against other types of metal for a specific one. ③ Notch mode –press “NOTCH”, then press “+”or ”-” button to select the target to be notched(eliminated). And you can simply eliminate the metal you don’t want through Discrimination Mode & Notch mode.
- FULL ACCESSORIES & YOU WORTH TO OWN IT: not only you can get 1×Metal Detector but also have 1×Carrying Bag, 1× Shovel(more durable & strong than other shovels), it has a headset jack that can be used with conventional headsets, two batteries are included. Whatever you're a beginner or advanced metal detectorist, PalliPartners metal detector is always suitable for you. If you have any questions about metal detector or metal detecting technicality, please feel free to contact us.
- ADJUSTABLE & HUMANITY DESIGN – metal detector from 41.3 inch to 47.6 inch adjustable stem, suitable for both adults and kids. Save more effort with arm rest design, makes you more comfortable and less stressful. Let's start your treasure hunting with this lovely PalliPartners metal detector.
- INTUITIVE LCD DISPLAY & DEEPER DETECTION - it is obviously more accurate and convenient that you can see the detection mode, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level. Even in the night time or dark light area. You can get information intuitively from the LCD screen and it can detect metals up to 8.7 inch depth.
Factors to consider before buying Metal Detectors?
Some metal detectors are made by more well-known brands, which can affect price and quality. However, there are also many good quality metal detectors made by less well-known brands.
Metal detectors can range in price from around $30 to over $1,000. It’s important to find a model that fits your budget and needs.
Metal detectors come in a variety of designs, from handheld models to ones that you push along the ground. Consider what type of design would work best for your needs.
Some manufacturers offer warranties on their products. This can be helpful if you have any issues with your metal detector down the line.
If you have any questions or problems with your metal detector, you’ll want to make sure the company has good customer service. Look for companies that offer phone support or live chat.
-If you’re on a budget, there are still plenty of good quality metal detectors available. You can find models for around $30-$100 that will suit your needs.
-If you have more to spend, you can find models with more features and better performance. Prices for these models start at around $100 and can go up to over $1,000.
-If you’re not sure how much you want to spend, it’s a good idea to set a budget before you start shopping. This will help narrow down your options and make it easier to find the perfect metal detector for your needs.
-The material of the metal detector can affect its performance. Some materials, like aluminum, are more durable than others and can withstand being dropped or bumped.
-Other materials, like plastic, are lighter in weight and may be more comfortable to use for long periods of time.
-When choosing a material, consider how you plan to use the metal detector and what type of environment you’ll be using it in.
-The weight of the metal detector can be important, especially if you plan on using it for long periods of time.
-Lighter models are usually more comfortable to use and may be easier to carry around.
-Heavier models may be more durable and have a higher build quality.
-The size of the metal detector can affect its portability and how easy it is to use.
-Smaller models are usually more portable and can be taken with you on trips or hikes. They may also be easier to use in tight spaces.
-Larger models may be more difficult to transport but can offer more features and better performance.
-The depth at which a metal detector can detect an object depends on several factors, including the size of the object and the type of metal.
-Some models are more sensitive than others and can detect smaller objects at greater depths.
-If you’re looking for a metal detector that can find buried objects, you’ll want to choose a model with good depth capacity.
-Some models can discriminate between different types of metal, which can be helpful if you’re only interested in certain types of objects.
-However, discrimination can also make it more difficult to find small objects.
-If you’re looking for a metal detector that can find a wide range of objects, you may want to choose a model without discrimination.
-The frequency of a metal detector can affect its performance. Higher frequencies are usually better for finding smaller objects, while lower frequencies are better for finding larger objects.
-Most metal detectors have a frequency between 3 and 30 kHz.
-Ground balance is a feature that can help the metal detector ignore minerals in the ground, which can interfere with its ability to find objects.
-Some models have automatic ground balance, while others require you to manually adjust the setting.
-If you’re going to be using the metal detector in an area with a lot of minerals in the ground, you may want to choose a model with this feature.
-Pinpoint mode is a feature that can help you locate an object more precisely. This can be helpful if you’re trying to find a small object in a large area.
-Some models have this feature, while others do not.
-If you think you might need to use pinpoint mode, you may want to choose a model that has it.
-The display on a metal detector can vary from model to model. Some have large, easy-to-read displays, while others have smaller displays with more information.
-Some models also have audio alerts that can tell you when an object is nearby.
-When choosing a metal detector, consider how important the display is to you and what type of information you want it to provide.
-The battery life of a metal detector can vary depending on the model and the type of batteries it uses. Some models can run for hours on a single charge, while others may only last for a few hours.
-If you’re going to be using the metal detector for long periods of time, you may want to choose a model with good battery life.
Ease of use:
-Some models are easier to use than others. Some have features that make them more user-friendly, while others may be more challenging to operate.
-If you’re new to using metal detectors, you may want to choose a model that is easy to use.
Benefits of Metal Detectors
One of the most obvious benefits is that it can help you find lost items. If you’ve lost a valuable piece of jewelry or another item, a metal detector can help you find it.
Metal detectors can also be used for security purposes. If you’re worried about someone planting a bomb or other type of explosive, a metal detector can help you find it.
Another benefit of metal detectors is that they can be used for treasure hunting. If you’re interested in finding buried treasure, a metal detector is a must-have.
Finally, metal detectors can simply be fun to use. If you enjoy spending time outdoors and exploring, a metal detector can add an extra element of excitement to your outings.
If you’re on the fence about purchasing a metal detector, consider all of the benefits that it can offer. It’s an investment that can definitely pay off in the long run.
What is Metal Detectors ?
Metal detectors are devices that are used to detect the presence of metal objects. They are widely used in various industries and applications, including security, archaeology, and mining. Metal detectors work by generating a magnetic field and then detecting any disturbances or changes in this field caused by the presence of metal. This allows them to accurately locate and identify metal objects.
One of the most common uses of metal detectors is in the field of security. They are used in airports, government buildings, and other high-security areas to detect weapons or other prohibited items made of metal. Metal detectors in these settings are often equipped with advanced technology to ensure high levels of accuracy and reliability. They can detect even small amounts of metal, ensuring that no potentially dangerous objects go unnoticed.
Metal detectors are also commonly used in archaeology to locate buried artifacts or historical objects. Archaeologists use metal detectors to survey large areas of land quickly and efficiently. By scanning the ground with a metal detector, they can identify potential areas of interest and then proceed with more detailed excavations. Metal detectors have revolutionized the field of archaeology, allowing researchers to make significant discoveries that would have otherwise been missed.
In the mining industry, metal detectors play a crucial role in ensuring the safety of workers and preventing damage to machinery. They are used to detect large pieces of metal that may be present in mined materials, such as rocks or ore. By detecting these objects before they enter crushing or grinding equipment, metal detectors help prevent costly breakdowns and accidents.
The three types of metal detectors are:
– Handheld: A handheld metal detector is a portable device that can be carried around and used to scan for metal objects in a small area.
– Walk-through: A walk-through metal detector is a large frame that you walk through. These detectors are often used at airports and other security checkpoints.
– Ground search: A ground search metal detector is used to scan large areas of land for buried metal objects. These detectors are often used by treasure hunters and archaeologists.
How does Metal Detectors work?
– All metal detectors work by detecting the presence of metal nearby.
– Handheld metal detectors scan for metal in a small area, while walk-through and ground search detectors scan for metal over a larger area.
– Metal detectors use different technologies to detect metal, including induction balance, pulse induction, and beat-frequency oscillation.
– The type of technology used affects the sensitivity of the detector and the types of metal it can detect.
Pros and Cons of Metal Detectors
-Metal detectors can help to deter crime. If would-be criminals know that there is a good chance they will be caught if they try to bring a weapon into a building, they may be less likely to attempt a crime in the first place.
-Metal detectors can also help to find weapons that have already been brought into a building. This can be especially useful in schools, where weapons might be brought in by students who are planning to commit a mass shooting.
-Metal detectors can give people a sense of security. Knowing that there is a metal detector in place can make people feel safer, even if it does not necessarily make them safer in reality.
-Metal detectors can be expensive to purchase and maintain.
-They can also be intrusive, and some people may feel like they are being treated like criminals when they have to go through a metal detector.
-Metal detectors can also give people a false sense of security. Just because a building has a metal detector does not mean that it is completely safe from crime.
-Finally, metal detectors can be fooled. If a criminal is determined to bring a weapon into a building, they may be able to do so by hiding it in a non-metal container.
How to use Metal Detectors?
– Metal detectors can be used to find buried metal objects, or to scan food and other materials for foreign bodies.
– To use a metal detector, simply hold it close to the object you wish to scan and move it around until the detector signals that metal has been found.
– Depending on the model, metal detectors will either make a sound, vibrate, or both when metal is detected.
– Some models also have a display that will show the location and depth of the metal object.
Common mistakes when using Metal Detectors?
One common mistake is not scanning all of the objects in an area. If you’re looking for a specific item, make sure to scan everything in the general vicinity.
Another mistake is not using the correct settings. Depending on the model, metal detectors can have different settings for different types of metal. Make sure to set the detector
to the correct setting before beginning your search.
Finally, some people give up too easily when using a metal detector. If the detector doesn’t signal the presence of metal right away, keep moving it around and scanning different areas. Metal objects can be buried deep underground, so it may take some time to find them.
How deep can a metal detector go?
The depth at which a metal detector can detect an object depends on several factors, including the size of the object and the type of metal. Some models are more sensitive than others and can detect smaller objects at greater depths. If you’re looking for a metal detector that can find buried objects, you’ll want to choose a model with good depth capacity.
What is the best frequency for a metal detector?
The frequency of a metal detector can affect its performance. Higher frequencies are usually better for finding smaller objects, while lower frequencies are better for finding larger objects. Most metal detectors have a frequency between 3 and 30 kHz.
What is discrimination on a metal detector?
Discrimination is a feature that can help the metal detector ignore certain types of metal. This can be helpful if you’re only interested in finding certain types of objects. However, discrimination can also make it more difficult to find small objects. If you’re looking for a metal detector that can find a wide range of objects, you may want to choose a model without discrimination.
What is ground balance on a metal detector?
Ground balance is a feature that can help the metal detector ignore minerals in the ground, which can interfere with its ability to find objects. Some models have automatic ground balance, while others require you to manually adjust the setting. If you’re going to be using the metal detector in an area with a lot of minerals in the ground, you may want to choose a model with this feature.
What is pinpoint mode on a metal detector?
Pinpoint mode is a feature that can help you locate an object more precisely. This can be helpful if you’re trying to find a small object in a large area. Some models have this feature, while others do not. If you think you might need to use pinpoint mode, you may want to choose a model that has it.
What should I look for in a metal detector?
When choosing a metal detector, there are several factors you should consider, including the type of objects you’re looking for, the features you want, and the price. If you’re looking for a metal detector that can find a wide range of objects, you may want to choose a model with good depth capacity and discrimination. If you’re looking for a metal detector that is easy to use, you may want to choose a model with good battery life and an easy-to-read display.
If you are in the market for a metal detector, it is important to do your research before making a purchase. Consumer Reports has compiled a list of the best metal detectors based on their testing. The top two detectors on the list are both from Garrett, and they offer different features that may appeal to different buyers. whichever metal detector you choose, be sure to read the reviews and compare prices before making your final decision. Have you decided which metal detector is right for you?
I’m Georgie Barton, a reviewer for various magazines and consumer reports. I’ve been testing and writing about household products and electronics for years, and have become quite the authority on the subject. My goal is to help people make informed decisions when purchasing these items, so they can get the most value for their money.
My hope is that through my work, everyone will be able to find a quality and satisfactory product. Thank you for reading!